Friday, May 20, 2011

Pirates 4 - On Stranger Tides

Me, Malgus, and another friend of mine went to see Pirates 4 on opening day and it was freaking amazing! I loved it so much and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good swashbuckling adventure film with comic relief.

Warning! The following contains spoilers! Don't read if you haven't watched the movie yet!

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the usage of Jack as the main character. What I mean by that is in the first movie, Jack was a side character and Will was the main character. In the second and third, the role of the main character was used by Jack, Will and Elizabeth. In this newer movie Jack becomes the main character because Elizabeth and Will are no longer in the films. To me, this was a great move! Jack is a much funnier and interesting character so this was one of the best things to me. One other thing was that Jack was not in a captain role in this movie. This surprised me and quite honestly I was looking forward to seeing him lead his crew into battle but instead he served on the crew of Black Beard for a good portion of the movie but of course he had his own motives. This didn't bug me though. They actually pulled this off quite nicely if I do say so myself. But anyway it was an interesting spin to see Jack without the role of Captain (of course he had the title) "There should be a captain in there somewhere."

Another thing that stood out to me was that there were no ship to ship battles like there were in Pirates 3. I must be honest, I missed this dearly but the reason of its absence was financial issues. Disney granted Pirates 3 a 300 Million dollar budget where as this movie was given a 25 Million Budget so they had to use there money wisely and you can no doubt tell there were not as many gigantic fighting scenes as there were in the third due to the lacking of funds. Disney didn't grant them as much money because of the recession so blame Obama. The only thing that stood out as "bad" or not up to speed with the rest of the movie was the love story between the Mermaid and Phillip the Missionary. I personally favored this and actually liked the whole love story between them but the ending was a bit dramatic and could have been shorter in my opinion. It was my counter parts who disliked the love theme all together. Where I thought it assisted the overall theme and plot to the movie they thought it was plain old stupid so you'll have to be the judge of that.

Anyway I still loved the movie and will be seeing it a few more times in theaters this weekend so please leave your thoughts on the movie below because I love to hear all of your perspecitves on these things.

Live long and prosper,
Zionoth

No comments:

Post a Comment